I’m a software product leader with a background in UX design and inbound marketing. I generally live in Seattle.
Recent career highlights:
- I am currently a founder, designer, and head of product at Glowforge, which had the largest 30-day crowdfunding campaign in history. We’ve also raised money from the fine folks at Foundry and True Ventures
- I’ve been quoted in a front-page article in the New York Times and interviewed on CNBC and Fox Business. Products I’ve led have been featured by NPR, Time, the Wall Street Journal, BBC, Slate, LifeHacker, TechCrunch (5x), US News and World Report, BusinessWeek, and more.
- I’ve founded and led product at three multi-million dollar software businesses that continue to grow today.
- I’ve served as interim Head of Product at companies backed by Sequoia and Redpoint.
- My second company (RescueTime) was funded by Y Combinator, True Ventures, and a host of awesome angels. It’s served millions of users and grows every month.
- I founded and led product design at Cubeduel, which went viral and was sold to investors.
- Mike Arrington of TechCrunch said the following about my interaction design efforts: “Anyone building a new web company with search features should take a look and consider, cough, copying their interface. It’s really exceptional.”
- I’ve done a lot of public speaking (alone and on panels) including at the Web 2.0 Summit, the Information Overload Research Group Conference, The Churchill Club, Seattle Tech Startups, Mozcon, and more.
Fun facts about me:
- I lived in Alaska for about 10 years.
- I’ve been buried alive in a snow cave. It was scary.
- I was a blogger-on-the-trail for the Iditarod Sled Dog race.
- I’ve remodeled my house down to the studs (with a little help from contractors and my lovely wife).
- I just traveled the world for 9 months in 2013. We have a blog for our adventures over here.
- I like reading (sci-fi and biz books), geeky board games, traveling, cooking, playing casual sports (ultimate, touch football, volleyball), playing with dogs, and woodworking/carpentry.